Sunday 14 June 2015

Returning to Paris



Ahh Paris. I knew it wouldn't take me long to return. This place just feels like I should really be living here. I'm not sure if that's my irrational mind thinking, or whether my feet are actually itching to relocate one day. Time will tell.


During the week one of my South Africa Au Pair friends asked if I'd like to join for a weekend trip to Paris. Oh man, if only she knew my level of passion and love for Paris. Obviously, I said yes.

It had just been my birthday the weekend before, so I was stoked (that's an understatement) to be going to Paris to celebrate my birthday along with Halloween with some great friends. Compared to last birthdays celebrations in a regional Australian town with the theme of 'An Evening in Paris' this was really a dream come true.


After the long bus trip, we walked for what seemed forever (due to my heavy luggage) to our apartment that looked over the city with a slight view of the top of the Eiffel Tower. Yep, it wasn't going to get better than this even if it was just the tip of the tower.


We dressed up into our Halloween costumes and headed straight to the Eiffel Tower to watch the light show and pop open my birthday gift from a close friend - a bottle of delicious French Champagne, Veuve Clicquot. Perfect start to the weekend. 

In the morning we caught the Metro to Abbesses and wandered up the winding steep streets of Montmartre to see the Basilica of Sacre-Coeur. It was in such a beautiful location right on the top of the hill, so we sat there for a while taking in the warm sun and the familiar tunes from the man playing the harp.


As my friends hadn't been to Paris yet, we went and seen all of the main attractions; The Louvre & the Pyramid, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Elysées, The Lock Bridge as well as eating the most perfect French Onion soup and of course some delicate macarons.

The weekend eventually had to come to an end, so we made our way to the bus station to catch the late bus home. Except there were some slight details we hadn't quiet double checked. By slight details, I mean the main detail - the actual location of the bus station. We ran around the area for more than 30 minutes asking everyone in sight if they knew the location. No one knew anything. We had 5 minutes before our bus was going to leave and we were all a frantic mess, we didn't know what to do. Until our knight in shining armour (beautiful French man) came along and actually ran us to the bus station. We arrived at our bus as the driver was closing the luggage compartments. A big thank you to that beautiful French man for getting us to the bus, even though I really would't have minded being stuck in Paris.

Until we meet again Paris. 
Beautiful French architecture 
Winding steep streets of Montmartre

Sacre Coeur Basilica
Arc de Triomphe 
The Louvre Museum

'Traveling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller' Ibn Battuta. 




No comments:

Post a Comment