Sunday 28 September 2014

London. Beautiful London.

The Millennium Wheel (The London Eye) & London Country Hall

Have you ever been to London?


Well, if not I highly recommend you get your butt there, stat.

For those who haven't done much travelling, London could be a great place to start.


In my travel experiences so far, London has been the easiest city to visit. Simply because being an Australian and speaking the same language (majority of the time) made things a lot easier. Communication is essential while travelling and knowing the language is so important and can make your life a lot easier. The money is also similar to home which kept things nice and simple for the first stop in my travels.


Along with the language and currency, London is really easy to get around - with help from a map of course. The signage is great and the public transport is extremely efficient, especially the underground train system! If your planning to visit London, get yourself an Oyster Card. Boy, did that make everything easy! They are straight-forward to top up and they get you onto trains and buses throughout London.


We did all things touristy; Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, The London Eye, St Paul's Cathedral (jaw dropping), London Bridge, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace and the Changing of the Guards (through the billions of people that were there before us), The Big Bus Tours, Madame Tussaud's, Platform 9 3/4's, Hyde Park, Kensington Garden, Piccadilly Circus and Oxford Street - the list goes on but I'd be here all day.


St Paul's Cathedral was the absolute stand out attraction for me. It is now my favourite church. Although I did not think this at the time. It took a few more peaks inside other churches around Europe for me to realise the real beauty of St Paul's Cathedral. Simply because of the claustrophobic experience I had climbing the stairs to the top of the dome. To be honest, I am not usually afraid of small spaces. But with the humidity and amount of people that were all trying to squeeze through the tiny alcove made me simply fear my intake of oxygen. After shakingly getting back down those 528 stairs, I was able to walk through the church absorbing all of the beautifully painted walls, ceilings and the intricate detailing that had gone into the making of the Cathedral. It was truly mind boggling.


London has more than enough to offer and I have decided I need to get back there to experience the shopping scene that I didn't get to indulge in.


Buckingham Palace


St Paul's Cathedral


Golden Jubilee Bridge


Kensington Palace


Tower Bridge


Madame Tussauds with Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's.


Ordering a Cappuccino, but receiving the Queen and a kitty cat. No problem here.

Banana Bread and Cappuccino from Moreish Cafe Deli on Tavistock Place.


London Tower


No comments:

Post a Comment