Friday 28 November 2014

When in Rome (oh how cliché)




Now before I start.. I must tell you that I have an extreme lack of photos of the things I saw in Rome. My Contiki group went out the night we arrived here and as usual I drank an awful amount of alcohol. I was woken by a friend in the morning. We were late. I was still fully clothed from the night before. We changed into some clean clothes (outfit failure) and ran to catch up to the group. 2% battery on my phone. No camera. Oh the mistakes.

But I don't believe in regrets, and since the construction workers were having an absolute field day on all the main attractions, I simply have to go back. Although next time I will take my fully charged camera as well as my fully charged phone with me. I won't make that mistake again.

So Rome started off with a really lovely walk through town leading to the Spanish Steps. It was really pretty around here even with the scaffolding. We then walked on to see the Trevi Fountain, which you wouldn't believe it, it was covered in scaffolding (insert sad face). It wasn't even a little bit of scaffolding, there was a lot to the point that you couldn't even get near it.

We then walked around to the Pantheon which is quite the spectacular sight. There was a moment here were I stopped and actually thought about how lucky I am. Travelling to Rome has been my dream for such a long time, and I was finally here. I have worked my butt off to make it all possible, but actually being here felt so surreal even though I had the giant Pantheon staring me in the face.

For those who know me well, they are completely aware of my passion for travel or just moving around in general. For those who don't know me so well, I have a pretty bad case of itchy feet. I don't have plans to settle as of yet, simply because I haven't visited that place. Well maybe Paris, I could live in Paris (but let's not get ahead of myself).

Rome was everything I had imagined. The Colosseum was alluringly beautiful at night from the outside and dramatically surreal on the inside. I simply couldn't comprehend the size of this place. Something I would recommend to do in Rome is book some guided tours. I learnt so much through the guides while walking through the Vatican City, the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. There is so much history throughout Rome, it was a lot to try and take in. I can't wait to visit again.







If life was easy, where would all the adventures be?

No comments:

Post a Comment